
Whereas I am not spewing obscenities at whaling ships around the world, I am an activist but a realist. The realities of our modern world do make it difficult to truly be in harmony with nature. But when I embark up a trail and soar to new heights to soak in a view, my whole being and sense of self changes. I feel balanced when crunching through snowdrifts in snowshoes or wading in streams clad in neoprene layers. I learned the true joy that is stopping to smell the roses, especially the wild ones that grow on the surrounding mountainsides. It is that wonderment, that joy, that humbling at the sight of majestic peaks that makes me fight for those that have no voice. Those emotions and that harmony drive me to strike a balance in the world that I inhabit for too short of a time. It's my love for future generations to share in this spectacular world that focuses my work, both professional and pro bono. For my god child, for my friends' children, for the extended family that embraces me during the holiday season.
As with all relationships, even the one a human shares with mother nature is grounded in respect. Respect the fact that even though a human is "at the top of the food chain" that motto is not true in all environments. Where the human is not a constant (read: less light pollution and no major highways), the s/he is not dominant. Humans don't have gills. We don't have wings. We don't have tiny hooves to walk on crags. We don't have a superior sense of smell. We have our place, and we have adapted to sidewalks and markets; but, when in a different environment, our parents all taught us, "when in Rome, do as the Romans", right? Well, the same goes for nature. The kicker is: that lesson does not just apply to when you trek into the wilderness. That lesson applies to the type of food you eat, the type of goods you consume, and the type of car you drive. Around us, birds fly, flowers bloom, mushrooms help decay, and animals breed.
I'm not saying you have to be an electric car-driving hippie (and even if you are, you can't escape all processed foods in our system); but, assess how you fit in harmony with the natural environment around you-- even if it is the sole flower box on your porch....nuture it, let it bring you happiness.
Even though I strive to "speak for the trees", I still have some habits that would make my fellow classmates from school shudder--
I still eat meat; but, with the exception of porkchops, I have changed my view to only consuming what I catch and hunt myself. If I have not quartered or filleted it myself, I try not to eat it.
I purchase products with the least amount of packaging. This hit hard when one of my favorite products was banished from my self-imposed list; but after some testing and online research, I found a comprable replacement. It was hard, and I went through withdrawals; but, I do less recycling now.
I own toxic chemicals-- just a few but some. My love affair with Seventh Generation is well documented since my time in the People's Republic of Vermont; but, darnit, puppy mud stains on my subaru interior can only be matched by 409. It takes DAYS for the car to air out after a 409 scrub; and I distract myself with NPR to avoid thinking about the toxins I breathe in. In all, I like a clean car; and a few chemicals in my otherwise clean air cannot hurt after my childhood upbringing of PineSol and Chlorox Bleach, eh?
Ultimately, the societal changes around us mold our views on how we want to-- or in some cases do not want to- interact with nature. I wake up excited that I have a free day and will celebrate by going on a 14 mile hike. My sister thinks I am psycho. She'd rather garden in the morning, ride her bike to the gym in the afternoon, and then cook dinner on the grill. To each his (or her) own: we each found harmony. We each respect each other's viewpoint...albeit with a little, harmless name calling.
Despite all this, she has promised that if I did need help in ascending a tree trunk to fight for a cause, she'd be on the next plane...as long as I purchase her carbon credits to offset her jet setting footprint.

- Christina
2 comments:
You inspire me to be more green for the love of the planet instead of the love of being cheap :) Thank for your perspective!
I like your style. I stopped eating meat for health reasons but also because I never had the stomach to learn where my food came from. If I don't want to know how it's made then why eat it? I like that you won't eat it unless you're the one who knows how it got on your plate. Seems like you're doing great things for the earth and much thanks for that! :)
Post a Comment