Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Love is . . . a fool

We begin April with "fool's day." Although celebrated around the world (rumor has it that the tradition started with the "kick me" sign on a Scot), in our American society of jokes, pranks, and the reality tv that celebrates those behaviors, I think of it as an American holiday.

So, imagine my surprise when in Fall 2009, my baby sister calls me and tells me the good news. Her now-husband's family had determined their wedding date. Sounds strange, right? Well, not really when you are an American marrying an Indian. My beloved brother in law is from Mumbai. For weddings, Indian families consult shaman to determine the most inauspicious day to exchange vows. And for some reason, these shaman foretold that the best day to marry a white American girl was April Fool's Day. I kid you not. No, really, I'm not kidding.

After recovering from an amazing ab workout that was laughing at the audacity of it all, I began my travel plans. In short: love is flying from Kodiak, Alaska to Mumbai, India for your sister's wedding. Literally, my air time was nearly 30 hours-- not including layovers. In my world of "it's the journey, not the destination", I shook free of old adage and actually soaked in it's opposite.

How?

Dancing through the streets of Mumbai with a traditional Indian wedding party and feeling like I was in a Bollywood movie is worth flying around the world for a week just to relish in the excitement of family, friends, street vendors, and even school children. Moreover, any time in the clouds is worth seeing the utter joy on my sister's face as she joined my brother in law in the festival atmosphere.

What's that old adage about being a fool for love? Yeah, well, I am a fool for that exuberantt smile. Love is...a fool.
-Christina

No comments: