Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Love is... Sign, sealed, delivered (Week 9)


Love is... Sign, sealed, delivered

Ever since I was a young girl I have been overjoyed to receive mail. (Yes, I find joy that simply!) When I was little, mail addressed to me was usually around birthdays and Christmas, and typically from the same three ladies, my grandmother, my great-grandmother, and my Godmother. Even more exciting, many times this mail would have money enclosed in it. As I got older I received other types of mail, in particular.. bills. While I don’t get excited, per sey, about bills I still love seeing my name on the receiving end of mail.

That being said, as I thought about what love is, I thought of how it is possible to simply show love. I am a writer and am always looking for the perfect words to express emotions. Last summer my family and I moved to Abilene, Texas. Before living here I had never been to this part of Texas, and frankly did really have the desire. Regardless of my opinions on the gateway to West Texas, God had a plan for us and that included packing up and moving to the “Big Country.”

Usually, when someone moves to a city to which they have never been, one doesn’t know anyone other than their family. As luck (or divinity) would have it, I knew someone in Abilene. A friend from high school had attended Hardin-Simmons University, met her husband, and they stayed in Abilene after college. I hadn’t spoken to Rachel in years, but emailed her via Facebook (what did we do before Facebook?!?!), and told her we would be moving to Abilene that summer. In fact, we would be in Abilene in May to house hunt. I have to admit I was a bit nervous, I hadn’t seen Rachel since my daughter was an infant, and Kristyn was now 8 years old. Rachel’s joyful heart hadn’t changed and she excitedly responded that she and I would have to have coffee while we were in town. When I saw Rachel, it was an instant
reconnection, and I have been blessed again by her friendship. On top of reconnecting with Rachel, she introduced me to some wonderful ladies, who have now become incredible friends, and wonderful parts of my life.

All this being said, I had told Rachel many times that I feel so blessed that we were reconnected, but I wanted to say it in a special way. Abilene is a small town, and Rachel and I see each other at least once a week, so sending her mail is not necessary by any means; however, after hanging up the phone with her one day I decided to sit down and write her a note expressing how blessed I am to have her in my life. The note was not long, it was not even eloquent by poetic standards, but it simply told her I loved her and having her in my life was something I counted as a blessing from God. I sealed the note, addressed it, stamped it, and sent it a couple miles down the road. Since then when I have a prompting to let someone know in a special way how they have blessed me, or that I love them, I sit down, put pen to paper, seal it and send it.

Few things can make someone’s day like a surprise piece of mail, just letting them know how special they are.

No comments: