Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Love is... Food! (Week 10)


Love is... Food!

One of the simplest ideas of showing love, in my mind, revolves around food. Food can be an incredible blessing under many different circumstances. For instance...

In October of 2001, I gave birth to my beautiful daughter, Kristyn. She was three weeks early, and because she was breach I had to have a cesarean. When we got home after our stay in the hospital, I was sore from the surgery, and completely exhausted. Luckily my mom stayed for a week after Kristyn was born, but even after a week, I was in no shape or mood to make dinner. My Sunday school class organized a dinner schedule and we were blessed with meals for another week! This same blessing occurred after I had my son, Branden. It seems that this is a common occurrence for new moms. And that thrills me, because I know how much of a blessing it truly is.

What if you took this to a new level? What if you blessed a friend with dinner, just because?

Sure, we have dinner parties, and gatherings, but what about seeing your friend is rushed, stressed, and exhausted and you surprise them with a meal. This is how it can look...

When I was preparing to start my new job at the local newspaper, I was overwhelmed. I was starting not just a new job, but a new career. I also have two “big kids” that are involved in multiple extra curricular activities. How was I going to get organized, and get my act together. Before my first day of work a dear friend called and asked if any of us were allergic to anything. I answered, no, and then asked why? She informed me that a few of our friends had decided that for my first day of work they were bringing us dinner. No one was sick, I had not just had a baby, but just because it would make one aspect of my life that day a little easier, my dear
friends were bringing us dinner.

I am an Air Force wife, and so are many of my friends. While my husband has yet to deploy, I have lots of friends who are single parents for an extended deployment. Nothing makes me happier than to surprise them with dinner so they don’t have to worry about it. They can come over “just because” or I can take it to them. Either way it is a simple way to say I love you.

If you do have someone in need of meals for an extended time period, check out this website. http://www.takethemameal.com/ It is a great resource to organize meals for someone who needs to be blessed!

No comments: