I am not a pet person. I know that statement will NOT win me any fans, but it is the truth. I don't dislike animals, by any means, but I just don't have that warm, loving place in my heart for pets like some (okay, most) people do. So this week, I decided to try and grow a little and find out what exactly it is people love about those hairy, slobbery creatures that people are willing to let them sleep in their beds!! I asked around and got lots of positive feed back. Here is what a few of my friends and family said about their loyal companions.
"I love our dog because no matter how much my boys follow her around, dress her up, try and force feed her bugs, or fall all over her, she takes it and rewards them with a kiss." - Christy S.
"I love our dogs because they are a source of comfort & protection, even if they are bigger weenies than I am!" - Hannah K.
"I love our dog because he never complains about what's for dinner." - Alicia G.
I loved all the good things people had to say about their dogs, and even some of the not so great things made me giggle. But from talking to people, I really got a sense of the love they felt for their pets. Then one day I was browsing a certain social network site and a dear friend of mine posted about shelter dogs. Of course I know there are tons and tons of animal shelters, and millions of animals that need to be adopted, but after doing a little research and talking to my friend Neda, I really realized the severity of the situation. Animal shelters all over the country are PACKED full with animals. Animals that have been abused, neglected, beaten, and all kinds of other really horrible things. It was heart wrenching- even for me who claims not to hold a special place in my heart for animals. It got to me.
My parents adopted a dog in January of this year from a boxer rescue. I asked my mom why she chose to go to a shelter/rescue instead of a breeder or a pet store. Here is what I found out about their newest family member, Piper. Piper came from a "puppy mill." Basically, someone had her locked up in a cage all the time and just kept breeding her and breeding her until she literally could not have another puppy. Then she developed heart worm and the puppy mill abandoned her. Thankfully, she was rescued by the Houston Boxer Rescue in time to get treatment for her heart worm and was able to make a great recovery. Here is a little information on what dogs go through while they are being treated for heart worm. http://heartwormtreatment-fordogs.com/ Unfortunately, there are way too many dogs dying of sickness, abandonment, and all kinds of unimaginable awful things. There are TONS of animals that need new, loving, compassionate homes. So if you are in the market for a new pet, I BEG you to check your local shelters or rescue centers. I know, for me, if I ever decide to get a pet (which is likely to happen once my kiddos start begging!!) I WILL adopt a shelter dog. BUT- if you are not in a place to get a new pet at this time, please take the time to seek out a shelter near you and see if there is anything you can do to help. Maybe you can offer a little Saturday morning time, or I know they are always in need of supplies, or, of course, they could always use monetary donations! See what you can do to help today!!
"Shelter dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human, we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Don't pity a shelter dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness by your side."
-Rebekah
1 comment:
Great post! I love all my pets like children on some level. I've had Cookie Louise going on 13 years and she has been a faithful companion, I couldn't imagine my life without her!!
Post a Comment