Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Love is ... to serve (Week 33)

serv·ice

1. an act of helpful activity; help; aid: to do someone a service.

What is the first thing you think of when you hear the word "service?"

For me, the first thing that popped into my head is how someone else serves me. For example, at a restaurant. How good was the service? Did my food arrive on time? Was the wait staff friendly? Then I sat down and really started thinking about service and I was SO ASHAMED of myself that the very first thing I thought of was me and how well others serve me. I know tons and tons of others ways people serve, and ways I, myself can serve and have served but for some reason (I'll blame it on the pregnancy hormones) the first thing I thought of was me.

So this week, I am challenging myself, and all of you, to think of service in a bigger, grander way. After my appalling first thoughts about myself and food, I realized that there are several (way more important) ways in which people serve. Probably the most obvious is the Military. I can think of no greater act of love than to serve our country. To willing put your life on the line SOLELY to help others... is nothing short of amazing.

For me, as a Christian, another way of serving is in Church. Volunteering time to work in God's house is not only beneficial to the Church, but is SO beneficial to the individual that is doing the serving. Some of the times that I have felt the best is when I am serving in church. And serving in Church looks different for every person. Some people do child care, some greet at the door, some come early and make all those gallons of coffee, and some go on mission trips. All are equally important.

And finally, just helping people. Help anyone! Help an elderly person across the street, help a short, pregnant girl like myself reach something on the top shelf of the grocery store. Just DO SOMETHING for someone else. I promise it will not only make them feel good, but you'll be surprised how good it makes YOU feel!

No comments: