Friday, December 14, 2007

Annapolis Wedding


So we had our first vacation/out of town trip as a married couple this past weekend. We flew up in to Baltimore, MD and stayed in Annapolis. One of Mia's classmates from the Academy was getting married and Mia was to be a member of her sword arch. We were greeted in Baltimore by nasty, cold rain. Let me make a side note here and say that if you ever travel to a city where they have roundabouts(or whatever the heck they call em) it is well worth spending the extra money to get a rent car with a GPS unit in it. We never would have made it through the weekend without that thing. Anyways, we went through a quick rehearsal and then had dinner at a cozy place called the Federal Tavern. Saturday found us sleeping in and enjoying a little well deserved R&R. We roused ourselves and went into Annapolis for a quick trip to the Naval Academy for a few gifts for some friends. We grabbed lunch with our friends Brad and Christina at a crabhouse called Bubba's. The conversation and company were great and the food was good I guess, my knowledge of seafood stops where the Gulf Coast ends...let me just say that my wife looks striking in her uniform and Annapolis just happens to be crawling with Naval Academy spawn who repeatedly ducked, hid, ran from her in an effort to not have to salute her. I just want to say at this point that those poor little fools don't know how close to death they came that day in trying to weasel out of saluting my wife. I coulda killed the whole lot of em. But I digress. After lunch I dropped Mia off at the church and hurried back to the hotel to throw my suit on and return only to be made late to the wedding by Yankee traffic. Whoever invented the roundabout should be beat with a stick! I finally make it back to the church and only end up being about five minutes late. The wedding was beautiful, the bride looked amazing as did the groom. It was a short and sweet ceremony. We then proceeded down the street to the Fleet Reserve Club for the reception. The wedding was small and very intimate as far as number of people so they had reserved a private room at the fleet club. The room was deck out to the 9's complete with an incredible Christmas tree in the back corner. They had a live jazz band and a great buffet. We relaxed and danced the night away and then sent the happy couple off in a hail of bubbles. We closed the night out with a long chilly walk back to our cars and then off to our prospective hotels. Mia and I flew back the next morning and spent the rest of our Sunday relaxing and soaking up time with each other catching up on TIVO'd shows. We had a really good time in Annapolis and were fortunate enough to catch up with some old friends along the way and even made a few new ones too. Maryland is nice but we sure where happy to be back in warm and sunny Texas...

2 comments:

C Anderson said...

My oh my, wiping YANKEE coffee off the computer screen. We loved having you here and welcome you to come back to DC. In DC, I will introduce you to the Metro, Dupont CIRCLE (NOTE: not a roundabout but a circle where the center lane goes UNDERNEATH the circle), and more YANKEE food.

Poor JT, gosh help him if he has to travel to Boston. I'll show you some real yankee food and traffic, ahem, big dig. Alright, enough busting on JT.

I have to admit, seeing you two without the pomp and circumstance of your wedding was a true delight. You two seem so relaxed and in love. Good luck with the laundry and the baby.

Anonymous said...

JT, they may be weasels, but I bet those weasels know the difference between "prospective" and "respective" hotels. Obviously the marriage hasn't improved your vocabulary. Mia, please help him. And dude, try calling me when I'm not at work, or asleep, or playing video games. I reserve a random 5 minute window every day for your phone call. Keep trying, you'll get lucky.