Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Love is… giving second chances (Week 6)

Oh boy! This week’s Love is… was a BIG one for me. I feel this is something that God has put on my heart for quite some time. Why have I waited so long?? Maybe I’ve just been ignoring it?? Maybe I was just trying to put it off and put it off? Or maybe God’s perfect plan wanted me to wait for the perfect opportunity to present itself.

Once it was my turn to write about Love is… I still struggled with making this decision. Knowing that my decision would be final today, I didn’t get much sleep last night. I tossed and turned and honestly almost changed my mind. However, this morning I woke up and remembered that what I would be doing would help so many people…so why am I so scared? Finally, I told Satan to back off and as of Tuesday, February 08, 2011, I am officially an organ donor!!

Phew! Even writing that sends so many emotions through me! Why is that? I think it comes down to we as humans not wanting to think about death and what happens to our body, our family, and everything in between, once we are gone. It’s a scary thought, for me. However, knowing that I can give someone a second chance at life…why aren’t we all organ donors??

When I realized that I wanted to do this, I of course discussed it with my husband. I had to make sure he was okay with this, which he was. I then talked to my mom about it over dinner one night. Ever since I was little she always scared me about being an organ donor. She would say the doctors don’t work as hard to save you if they know you are a donor. I decided to take the opportunity to do some research and get all the facts in order to comfort her with my decision. I explained everything and she seemed okay with the idea. Maybe she will become one in the future.
Did you know:

*There is a critical shortage of organs, tissues and eyes available for donation. There are more than 96,000 patients in the United States awaiting transplantation—more than 7,000 are Texans.

*Every 13 minutes, a new name is added to the national transplant waiting list. Every day, 17 people die waiting for a life-saving organ transplant.

*The Glenda Dawson Donate Life – Texas Registry is the official state organ, tissue and eye donor registry.

I am currently at work writing this blog and I decided to take a break and get some tax stuff done. I couldn’t log into Air1.com and get my tax contributions for some reason, so I decided to call. I was speaking to a woman named Tammy and she helped me figure out what the problem was. Before we got off the phone she asked me if I had anything that I needed prayer for. I said, “um…well I became on organ donor today!” She got quiet all of a sudden and I began explaining how I came to this decision and how Satan tried to stop me and I started getting a little emotional. Then she said “Well, coming from a family that’s been through this, I just want to say thank you so much.” I was so emotional at this point that I didn’t know if I should ask her about her situation or just say bye? I ended up just saying thanks for the prayer and for the help. After I hung up I just felt so happy. That whole conversation was just a God thing…a true blessing. He was definitely working and it was the confirmation that I needed to know that this is what God wanted for me.
So how do you feel? Don’t you think everyone deserves a second chance?

Regina

4 comments:

Barbie said...

That is awesome Regina! Giving the true gift of life can mean so much to so many people! I am so proud of you!!!! You are an amazing woman!!!

a pair of pettijohns said...

from one organ donor to another...welcome & way to go! :) organ donation is SO amazing and is such a miracle to me. He has truly created us so fearfully & wonderfully!!

on a side note: if you want to feel even better about your decision, rent "return to me." i dare you not to cry!

Alison said...

"Return to Me" is an awesome movie. Great music, too. On a personal note, Regina, I had some eye trouble a few years back and the opthamologist told me I might need a new cornea. It's just a tiny piece of tissue, but finding a new one means getting on the organ donor waiting list. Thankfully, my own cornea pulled through, but it was sort of a scary time. Thanks for making such a brave decision!

Regina said...

Ali- Im glad you didnt need to wait for a donor!!
After I became a donor, Owen decided to become one as well!
Thanks for the support girls!