Saturday, July 11, 2009

The day I met Henry . . .

So yesterday after a day of work at the Coast Guard, I ran to the store to purchase milk. I was wearing my uniform and was making a bee line to the milk. I passed an older gentleman and he spun around to cross my path again. This time he stopped me and said " LT, I have something for you" and handed me a $1 coin! I told him thank you very much and he continued to tell me about his time in the South Pacific in the 1940's and also thanked me for my service and as always, I thanked him for his service as well. We continued to talk, and he asked me "How old do you think I am" I replied 68 (I mean do you really guess at that point or do you be courteous??) so he told me that was impossible since he was in the service in 1940. He stated that he was 90 years old and he looked pretty good for 90 didn't he, I have to say that one made me smile. He continued on to say that if we continue to stay in good shape, as we both were, we would save money on gas, fast food doctors etc. Since I was in my maternity uniform, I thanked him for saying that I was in good shape since I was 5 months pregnant. He looked down at me and said "Boy or Girl?" I told him that we would find out next week. As he walked away he said "that coin is a gift for your son!"
Random Gift and Random Prediction, but all in all it made me smile all day long!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That story sooo needs to go in your baby book. It is great how just one little thing can make you smile.
Katie