Thursday, October 30, 2008

Happy with a tear in my eye


107 Years, 10 month and 4 days ago, on Christmas eve 1900, a beautiful baby girl was welcomed into this world and was named Anita Gonzales. She grew up to be a strong willfull young lady and introduced women's lib before it existed (Left a note for her husband while he was at work "Dear Ben, Melba needs me" before she hoped on the train to help out her daughter with a sick child) . . . She was married to the same man (Ben) for 62 years before his death. She gave birth to 12 children, seven of which are still living, and has 43 grandchildren, 102 great-grandchildren, 86 great-great-grandchildren and 30 great-great-great-grandchildren.

I was blessed and honored to call her my great grandma


When Jonathan and I went to visit her this year, I said "Your going to be 108 this year Grandma, are you excited?" Her reply was "I'm going to be 108, what do you think?" and laughed. She was an amazing woman who did so much with her life and touched so many people. She always said that she would keep going until God wanted her back with Him.


Well this past Tuesday, I guess God decided that she had waited long enough. My grandma Dimas went to sleep for her afternoon nap and passed away peacefully in her sleep.


She was an amazing woman that has lead a full and wonderful life and we all knew that it was a matter of time before she passed on but I still don't think that ever makes us ready for when it happens! I am so blessed that she was able to meet and approve of my husband earlier in the month and that she was able to see how happy I am and continue to be! I guess all in all, I could not have asked for a better goodbye!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are truly blessed to have such an amazing great grandmother! Know we am here for you, and will be praying for you and your family! God has a new truly magnificent angel! Love ya!
~Barbie

Clint and Ashleigh said...

Mia, this is a sweet post.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for your loss, but you got it right when you said God decided she had waited long enough to go to heaven. My prayers are with you and your family,
Kristie

Anonymous said...

Oh Mia this brings tears to me but more so happy tears. we never want to lose someone but to know the life she had and now can look down from heaven on all of the many people of your family is a blessing. My prayers are with you and your family as its never ease no matter how long they lived. I am also sending big hugs to everyone!

Love ya lots!
Katie

C Anderson said...

Our love in this time of reflection-- the Anderson