A few weekends ago while I was visiting my grandma she surprised me with an early birthday gift. The card had this great and beautiful prayer on the inside that just blessed me by reading it. As I opened the gift, I realized what it was an started to tear up immediately. She had given me a small old rolling pin. Let me explain . . .
When I was younger, my mom, grandma and I would make tortillas together, as well as many other cousins and children. She had this small rolling pin for us that was about 10 inches long and solid wood. Nothing fancy, no handles, just a wooden rolling pin that was just our size. I remember my mom and grandma teaching me and my other cousins how to roll out the dough just right for the tortillas. We would go back and forth in many directions to make it just right! And then the adult would put it on the skillet or on the stove top and cook it for us as we anxiously waited.
Grandma doesn't make homemade tortillas anymore, its something that I only get to have in my childhood memories, so for her to give that to me, it was like passing on a tradition to another generation. I love my family more then anything else, and I understand that I am getting older each year but I'm not ready for them to age as well.
But she gave me a wonderful gift that I hope to pass on to my children in the future and to my grandchildren as well. She has given me a wonderful gift that has many great memories attached to it. I could have asked for anything better!
2 comments:
Wow. Hugs.
What a wonderful gift, and a wonderful memory to pass down to your children some day! We will never be ready to lose our lvoe ones, but if we hold on to those special memories, then they live on forever! Happy Birthday! Love ya!
~Barbie
Post a Comment