Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Love is….. undefinable (week 46)

The last 10 months have shown me that, ultimately,love is undefinable. Trying to write little excerpts for this blog has only reinforced that knowledge. I struggled each time to clearly explain howI understood love.

Merriam-Webstersays that love is:

1 a(1):strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties

(2):attraction based on sexual desire: affection and tenderness felt by lovers

(3):affection based on admiration, benevolence,or common interests

b: an assurance of affection


I am a huge fan of dictionaries. I quite enjoy looking up new words, verifyingthat the one being used is correct, etc. But for the first time, I think Merriam-Webster’s definition is very incomplete. When I am asked what I love about my husband,I can rattle of a list of physical, emotional, and intellectual reasons. And the list keeps on growing. The only problem is that by the end of that insanelylong list, it still feels weak and incomplete. It doesn’t even begin to touch the feeling that I have for him. I cannot happily condense it into a simplestring of words either. If someone wereto ask the same of my family, friends, and puppies – I would be equally at aloss.

I think that is why they say “to each his own” whenit comes to love. Love is undefinableand each person sees and feels love differently. Itmight also be why it is so easy and difficult to determine if you love. You know it when you feel it but you cannot express why you lovesomeone/something because it is ultimately impossible to properly define.
- Therasa

No comments: