I don’t know about you guys, but this week has already been a doozy for my little family. Twelve hour workdays, a headache that just won’t. go. away. AND a crabby, teething toddler that is contemplating dropping his morning nap, much to his mother’s chagrin. To be more specific, yesterday was the kind of day where it took me about an HOUR of thinking, “WHERE is that smell coming from?!” to realize that I had runaway diaper doody on my shirt.
Classy.
This is all on the heels of an exhausting weekend, that for my family, consisted of a sweet husband having to study and do homework much of the weekend, thus leaving me to single parent AND entertain myself.
YIKES.
Life can really stack up sometimes, can’t it? Especially when it’s REAL life. The kind of life that happens behind closed doors, when you’re at home in your grubbies with no makeup on. It’s SO easy to get caught up in all that’s not going the way you want it to go and to lose sight of those things that are blessings…even if they’re blessings in disguise.As I was hoofing it around my neighborhood for my morning walk, I was racking my brain for inspiration for today’s post. The others had all come to me so easily and without effort.
This week’s? Not so much.
I kept trying to think of grandiose, monumental ways to show love, but I was looking for love in all the wrong places. As I reflected over my week so far, I began to work hard to find things to be thankful for…to outweigh those complaints that were weighing heavy on my heart and mind. And that’s when it hit me…It turns out that in the midst of my exhausting, non-glamorous week full of “real life”, there was lots of love shared and shown.
For example…Love on Saturday was running errands with my husband. I had a killer headache all weekend long and was not jazzed about the thought of running around town in heat that makes me thankful for my salvation, but I knew that it was one of my only chances to spend time with him. He showed me love in return by taking Owen in to Barnes and Noble with him and letting me stay in the air-conditioned truck, thus giving me 15 whole minutes of silence and alone time. I may have caught a cat nap!
Love on Sunday afternoon was taking my husband to McDonald’s for a 15 minute, 79 cent ice cream cone study break. It wasn’t glamorous, it didn’t last long, but we soaked up those precious minutes as a family and we used that time to talk about things besides school and work.
Love this morning {earrrrly this morning} was rocking Owen at 4:45 when he was awake with stinky teeth. Rather than rushing my time of comfort with him so that I could go back to bed, I pressed into the moment and got some good snuggles in with that little rover. Snuggles that I’m REALLY going to miss someday.
The long and short of it is, sometimes love isn’t a grand gesture. It may not even be something out of the ordinary. It might just be doing something you usually do or have to do, but choosing to do it with a willing heart. Or it might be finding a little moment somewhere within a long day to make a memory. Or in my case today, love might be ironing that stack of your husband’s chinos that have been sitting in your laundry room for WEEKS. Sometimes love is just real life…tucked in between those non-Hollywood moments we ALL have. It might not be glamorous, but it’s the good life.
bekah
No comments:
Post a Comment